Wedding cake designs have come far from the traditional wedding cake aesthetics that were prevalent in the past – three or more tiers of white cake with a simple wedding topper. If you look through Pinterest or other couple’s wedding pictures, one thing is constant; people are throwing away the rule book when it comes to wedding cakes and opting for modern cake silhouettes that make sense to their wedding theme.
There are a lot of things to consider before making your decision on the look and the type of wedding cake you want. We have assembled the best wedding cake designers in South Africa, who are tried and tested so you can tick one more thing off your wedding checklist.
• Decide on your design: Search for cake inspiration on bridal websites and decide on the design that grabs your attention, plus, consider, the rest of your wedding décor to ensure that the cake seamlessly fits the look and feel.
• Set a realistic cake budget: Wedding cakes are very costly due to the detail and theatrics that go into designing and implementing wedding cakes. Be realistic about how much you can afford to spend on the cake to avoid spreading your wedding budget too thin. With that being said, the cake does set the tone of the wedding, splurging a bit is justifiable.
• Take into account the number of guests at your wedding: The number of people at your wedding will, to a large extent, dictate how big your cake is.
• Know your cake designers style and do a tasting: It's essential to see the visuals of your cake designer’s previous work. You don’t want any unwelcome surprises on your wedding day; request references and do your research. A wedding cake tasting is also crucial. You want to know that the cake will be delicious in addition to being pretty.
Wedding cake prices in South Africa can range from R2000 – the most basic two-tier cake – to above R20 000. It depends on the design and size. The price of your wedding cake is dependent on the design and wedding cake designer you select.
According to a survey, the most popular wedding cakes for 2019 are:
• Pink Champagne
• Caramel apple cake
• Hazelnut praline cake
• Salted caramel cake
• Chocolate cappuccino torte
• Fresh raspberry buttercream ombré and curd
• Chocolate covered raspberry
• White chocolate chai truffle
• Cream cheese frosting and strawberry compote
• Torched Plums and Fresh Plum Compote with Cardamom soaked in honey
These are the top 10 most popular cake flavours, consider tasting some of these when deciding on your wedding cake.
The wedding catering is a crucial step in wedding planning. In addition to wedding cake designers, we also bring you a wide range of experiences wedding caterers in South Africa. Here are a few tips to getting the catering of your wedding right:
• Consider the wedding theme
• Number of guests
• Dietary restrictions of guests