Imagine spending thousands of Rands planning and executing your dream wedding; having the time of your life only to receive unsatisfactory wedding photographs weeks later – it's not an ideal situation. Choosing the right photographer for your special day goes hand-in-hand with the rest of the planning that comes with your wedding checklist.
Wedding photographers are a cost that you need to account for when drafting your wedding budget. Capturing the magic, romanticism and chemistry that you and your significant other have on your wedding day, should not be taken for granted – wedding photography is an art. We have a few tips for choosing the wedding photography that will best suit your wedding theme, location and budget.
• Budget for the best - having the best photographer mean s you'll get the best photographs, make consideration for a good photographer when drafting your budget.
• Peruse your potential photographer's portfolio - browsing your wedding photographers portfolio is essential to get a feel of their photography style and whether you want that specific aesthetic for your wedding.
• Draft detailed instructions of your wedding venue, theme, etc. - give your potential wedding photographer as much detail as you can about your wedding. The small details help them to know whether they're capable of executing the shots, as well as the look and feel that you want.
• Conduct a test shoot - this is essential to ensure a seamless wedding day where you and your photographer already know the shots you need to get.
• Read the contract thoroughly - in every business transaction, it's better to ensure you know your consumer rights in case something happens; cancellations, unsatisfactory work, and refunds.
Wedding photographer fees can be very costly, but you have to be prepared to pay for quality. If you're looking at affordable wedding photography options, consider taking a full wedding photography package. Packages will save you money because you pay a set photography fee instead of paying separately for these photographic services for your wedding.
If you're looking for an excellent wedding photography package, check that it contains all these aspects:
• Wedding photography stills coverage
• High-resolution edited photographs
• Photos provided on a USB and online gallery
Alternatively, focus on the one thing that matters most to you on your wedding day; if a photo booth, for instance, is not something you planned on having, focus on your wedding stills of videography. It's your day, and you should do what feels most comfortable to you.
Interviewing with your potential wedding photographer is crucial. It's also more important to ask the right questions so you can make informed decisions on who to task with capturing your most intimate moments. The interview is to ensure that your wedding photographer knows what they are doing; to avoid surprises on your wedding day, and determine if you get along with the photographer.
Here are a few questions to ask your photographer:
• Are you available for my wedding date?
• What is your photography speciality?
• How many weddings have you shot and how long have you been a wedding photographer?
• Will you retouch and colour balance the images?
• Will you be my photographer or an associate?
• Will you bring your lighting?
• Do you have backup photographers on call in case you are ill and unable to work that day?
• Will you have assistants or additional photographer; and will this be an additional cost?
• How long after the wedding will we see the photographs?
Planning a wedding is stressful, so write these questions down on your wedding checklist, so you don't forget and are ready for your wedding photographer interview.